Saturday, September 24, 2011

Failure to Thrive...

Three words that any mother dreads to hear from their pediatrician...
and now I am 2 for 2 with babies that have been labeled "failure to thrive." I thought Bri was the best little nurser who came to this world already knowing how to nurse. She was a big healthy baby and the doctor told me at her first check-up that I didn't need to worry about bringing her back in until 8 weeks unless I wanted too. About 4 weeks I decided to take her in because I was concerned about her weight, only to find that she had lost almost a full pound since she was born. I had to put her on only formula for 4 days. Luckily she quickly gained weight. Since I did not nurse her for 4 days, my milk supply diminished (it obviously wasn't where it needed to be to begin with since she was under weight). I met with a lactation consultant and tried to nurse for another 3 weeks but have realized that it is a losing battle. James and I decided to bottle feed Bri last Friday. I must say- I was relieved about the decision, but it was hard to not nurse her anymore. I realize life goes on, and it will always be something.

Since we started feeding Bri (lol) she has been the happiest, best little girl ever. She sleeps great, she's alert, and happy. We really needed a good baby after Addy...ha ha ha. Brianne has gone from 6.13 to 9.3 pounds in 3 weeks! She eats like a champ! I have enjoyed being able to let James feed her on many occasions now!


1 comment:

  1. I had similar issues with both Kyrstyna and Christopher. Tried to nurse both, but just did not make enough milk. With Kraig, I pumped and the NICU gave him my milk, but he was also supplemented with high calorie formula (he was 15 weeks early).

    ReplyDelete